Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's Raining Cookies! Hallelujah!*

*to be sung to the tune of "It's Raining Men"..come on, I know you want to.

Hi All!

So far this week has been quite drab. I know, what a ridiculous word, drab, but honestly I can't think of any other way to describe it. The days are still short and dark, the weather is windy and rainy. Sad day. My favourite season is autumn. I LOVE autumn. The crunch of the leaves under my feet, the smell of wood stoves in the chilly evenings, the warm September sun bathing me in its rays as I frolic about the city! I know, I make it sound like a fairy tale, but its so far away right now that it feels as though its arrival is only that, a fairytale. I suppose I do have spring and summer to look forward to, and I DO love fiddleheads and asparagus and fresh corn. So I guess I should just shut my mouth. Or talk about some food.


Last night was pasta night! Woo! And while I was getting busy in the kitchen (COOKING, I was getting busy cooking, get your mind out of the gutter!) I thought I should probably make some peanut butter cookies, and while I was making some peanut butter cookies, I thought I should probably cover half of them in chocolate. Good thoughts? Yes indeed.


These are the Gigantoid Peanut Butter Cookies from VwaV. There is only one gigantoid one though, as you can see, that one I made for Curtis...because I love him...and there is long history of peanut butter cookies in our past!


And now for dinner,(*gasp* dessert before dinner!! I know you've eaten dessert before dinner before, don't deny it), PASTAAAAAAA!

This was thrown together pretty quick, a really simple tomato sauce using about 1/4 cup of a jar of tomato sauce we had in the fridge, fresh tomato, garlic, basil, thyme, pepper and sea salt. With chickpeas, roasted cherry tomatoes and toasted pine nuts. And of course...garlic toast! It's a top secret family recipe. It is my absolute favourite. Curtis and I went to spend a weekend at a cottage with some friends of ours this summer...and this garlic bread, on the BBQ, saved our LIVES! Okay that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it certainly helped to curb what could have been a (more) nasty hangover.

Tonight for dinner, I made some plain and simple tomato soup with crackers for Curtis, he has come down with a cold and stuffy sinuses. His sniffles demanded some soup. I had nothing too fancy myself, but a gigantic salad with some toast. It kinda looks pretty, though.


Greens, tomato, carrot, roasted beets, home grown sprouts, chickpeas, and a few pieces of smoked mozzarella sheese. Mmmm. So nice, so comforting. And we had cookies for dessert...again! But hey, we all need a little indulgence now and then. And of course by "now and then", I mean two days in a row!


Tomorrow is Thursday, (like you didn't already know that), and hopefully I will have something more substantial for you to gaze at than salad. I hope you are all staying warm and dry.


Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ooh!! Everything looks so good. Hurrah for cookies! Peanut butter is the best way to go.

I love your salad. I'm a fan of huge salads. I could devour a kilo of salad and still want more. The more colour the better. =)