Thursday, February 7, 2008

Do You Know the Muffin Woman, the Muffin Woman, Do you Know the Muffin Woman, She Lives on Barrington Street!

Remember that song? The muffin man? I always secretly wished I lived on Drurey Lane with him.....


HAHA Look at me! I'm a muffin and I'm all up in your face!


My camera has returned! WooHoo! So in honour of that, I made something totally uncolourful to show you...hmmm, not good planning on my part. So here is a picture of our superbowl pizzas before we get to the stuff from tonight


Homemade crust, broccoli, portabellos, tomatoes, spinach, red pepper, mozarella "cheese" and a few pieces of veganronies. Mmmmmm. Usually I try to make the sauce, but since we would be preparing our food in my Dad's kitchen, rather than our own (and because I didn't plan ahead), I went with a jar sauce (*GASP*!), but I gotta say, this sauce ROCKED. It was on sale this month at Planet Organic, it's called Prairie Harvest Organic Roasted Garlic Sauce. It had a little sweetness from the tomatoes and a little kick from the garlic. MmmMmm. I highly reccomend searching a jar out for yourself.


Now, on to tonight. I was craving something sweet, which is a rarity for me, I usually like salty, carb-y snacks, so I didn't want TOO sweet (ie: not a tofu cheesecake). So the first thing that came to mind, muffins! Of course muffins, little bundles of joy, all wrapped up in a pretty terra cotta colour unbleaced, recycled muffin wrapper, stuffed with fruits and nuts and love. Okay, I guess thats a pretty glorified description, but you know how I roll. And I even made two differnt kinds! Go me!

Banana Oatmeal Muffins with Flax Seeds and Walnuts

3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

1/2 Cup Rolled Oats

1/4 Cup Sugar

2 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda

1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts

1/2 Cup Almond Milk

1 Teaspoon Molasses

1/4 Cup Canola Oil

1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

1/2 Cup Mashed, very ripe Banana

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). In a bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, flax seeds and walnuts. In another large bowl, mix together milk, oil, molasses, and vanilla. Add the mashed bananas, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line with muffin papers and divide the batter among them (its about 1/3 Cup each). Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15 minutes, or until done to your liking.

Mango and Pineapple Muffins with Wheatgerm and Almonds

3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

1/2 Cup Rolled Oats

1/4 Cup Sugar

2 Tablespoons Wheat Germ

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder

1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda

1/4 Cup Slivered or Crushed Almonds

1/2 Cup Almond Milk

1 Teaspoons Molasses

1/4 Cup Canola Oil

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1/2-3/4 Cup Mashed Mango and Pineapple, mixed.


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
In a bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, wheatgerm and almonds. In another large bowl, mix together milk, oil, molasses and vanilla. Add the mashed fruit, and combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Line pan with muffin papers, and divide the batter among them. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until done to your likeness.


So there we go! Muffins ahoy! The banana are on the left and the mango pineapple are on the right. We might end up eating them all tonight. Okay not really, but in my muffin fantasy world, I would eat them all!

I hope you are all staying warm.

Much love!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! You got your camera back. =) And it's filled with amazing pics. Yum. I'm addicted to muffins too. They're just so amazing. Packets of goodness, bigger and moister than a cookie. And so marvelously adaptable to anything you want.

Anardana said...

Mmm I had pizza tonight but I already want more because of that pic!

Anonymous said...

Hi....I just found you via a comment you left on of my posts. I'm always excited to see another Canadian veggie blogger! Your place looks fun, I'll keep visiting you. Drurey lane....do you think there is one in Halifax?

You're cat is adorable. She/he looks a lot like my last cat....who was a total sweet heart and lived to be 20!

Kristine said...

Wow 20!? That is amazing! Lola is only six/seven, I hope she lives to be 20! Thanks for your comments Megan!
Anardana, isn't it funny how just seeing photos of food can make us forget that we JUST ate! I know what you mean.
Romina, you have been making some fab looking muffins lately, too!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Hehe I want to live with the muffin man too! I hope he makes vegan muffins ;o).