Saturday, February 16, 2008

This, is a Love Letter...to a Cutlet.

Even though I received Vcon in October for a birthday gift, I only got around to making the much adored Chickpea Cutlets the other night. I wish I hadn't waited so long, 'cause holy moly! They are un-freaking-believable!! I know, I know, I'm really behind the times here, but honestly, we fell in love with their slighlty spicy, chewy, warm and filling entirety. Mmmmm. I made a delish Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Gravy to go with them...it was one of those clean out the fridge, inventive dealies, so no recipe...YET! But hopefully when I remember what I put in it, I can pass it along. I also made some spicy sweet potato bites and some simple steamed broccoli and carrots. It was a heavenly dinner that we enjoyed with some beers and some Frasier re-runs.

Dear Chickpea Cutlet, I love you, please be mine.

In other news; cake!


Curtis wanted something sweet after dinner, so he started leafing through the cookbooks and decided on the Carrot Cake from LaDolce Vegan. It was really good! It was more like a cinnamon bun, in a way, only not bun shaped. But its all good, it wasn't too sweet, and it was moist and delicious. I made a simple vanilla/almond glaze for it, and we ate it all at once! MUAHAHAHHAHAH. Okay, no, no we didn't we were so full of cutlets we could only have a little, but it was great!



We've been looking everywhere for My Sweet Vegan, the recipes I have seen on other peoples blogs make me drool...a LOT! But here in Canada, it is SOOO not available. I have even tried to get all of our local little book stores to order a copy in for me, but none of them can get it in either. Sad day, indeed. Have something sweet for me and if you're travelling to Nova Scotia, ever, please let me know so I can beg you to bring me a copy!

Today after work, errands, groceries and all the other stuff, I was pretty sleepy. So for dinner tonight we had something from a *GASP* BOX! I know, I know, but I love these little bundles of joy. Totally vegan, canadian made potato croquettes. A delish and garlicky outer shell houses a smooshy, mooshy warm inside of perfectly spiced yukon gold potato. Mmm.


You can probably tell by the rushed nature of this photo that we were hungry!
We had these with a salad of romaine, tomato, grapes, pumpkin seeds, chickpeas and top secret poppyseed dressing. We also had steamed broccoli and carrots with hummus. Mmmm. For a busy day, it was a great dinner. Tomorrow we're heading out to our most favourite local restaurant for our V-Day Dinner. We love each other all year 'round, so Valentine's Day is pretty much a none-issue around here. But its fun to be romantic and eat out sometimes, so tomorrow it is! Hopefully, I will have some photos for you (of food, not mushy romantic scenes. HA!).

Now, go make chickpea cutlets! Run!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear you like the chickpea cutlets! I read quite a few blogs that say they disliked them. =( I personally think they're great. And they're so guilt free. =)

I too have been searching for My Sweet Vegan, every picture I see from it makes me want it more! But you're right, I think it's impossible to get in Canada. Grr!!

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com will ship to Canada

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780979128615&itm=1

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sweet-Vegan-passionate-dessert/dp/0979128617/

Amazon.ca lists it as not available yet put coming in stock soon
http://www.amazon.ca/My-Sweet-Vegan-Passionate-Dessert/dp/0979128617

Alisa said...

My friend just ordered it on amazon.ca, looks like it is available and for a better price than in the US!

Kristine said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone!
I knew that I could order it online from amazon and from barnes and nobel. I was just trying to search it out locally first. And not have to use my credit card. I think I will have to end up ordering online, though. Maybe Banres and Nobel, they offer paypal useage at least.
Thanks for the tips!
hug